SailNet Community - View Single Post - The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012

weathertrack is on a distinguished road
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have a pacor modem, but I doubt it is wifi capable. I will have to research. I do not have a wifi network aboard at all. If I needed to upgrade the pacor and it would communicate directly with the ipad, that would be great. .
This is a misunderstanding. There is a wifi option for the Pactor modem, but there is no software offering that talks radio mail. Certainly an exciting project, but also a very large one.

Quote:
Didn't I pay something like $10 for your app? I don't get your point. I get sailflow.com for free.
You are right, they offer a free subscription indeed.

I just requested a GRIB file from their web page (registration was required, received file per email), and opened it in WeatherTrack. You can do the same. Just go to the requested GRIB file in your email on your iPad, tap on the attachment and choose open in WeatherTrack. Now you should see the file.
Remember that you can open any GRIB file from any source in WeatherTrack.

Quote:
Once you open a file and, for example, enter the Wind section, you have to click the right or left carrot to move between times. I know it can be animated, but I often want to go straight to tomorrow morning, or often I want to jump ahead to see the overnight wind to pick an anchorage to sail to.
If I'm not mistaken (I'm not on the ipad right now), when you leave off on a particular time in one section and move to another, say from wind to waves, it opens on the time to last viewed, ie Wed 1800. Typically, I want to start from the beginning and I have to scroll back. A drop down box with all the days and times in each Grib would be great.
There is already a drop down box, please see pic attached. All you need to do is tap the date and select the time. Please note that if you have iOS 6 installed, there is a bug in iOS that prevents this to work. We have a workaround in the pipeline that should be in the app store soon.

Quote:
I would also love to see an app that could creatively superimpose wind and waves, without over cluttering the image. If you got current into it too, that's another retirement idea.
That is on our to do list already, takes a while though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg date.jpg (79.8 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook