SailNet Community - View Single Post - The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertrack View Post
This is a misunderstanding. There is a wifi option for the Pactor modem, but there is no software offering that talks radio mail. Certainly an exciting project, but also a very large one.
Sorry to have misunderstood. Could you give it another go? My second best attempt at what you meant is having an onboard wifi, where a PC based laptop speaks with the pacor and the Ipad is somehow signed onto the same wifi network and speaks with the PC to get the grib?

Quote:
I just requested a GRIB file from their web page (registration was required, received file per email), and opened it in WeatherTrack. You can do the same. Just go to the requested GRIB file in your email on your iPad, tap on the attachment and choose open in WeatherTrack. Now you should see the file.
Tried it and was successful in uploading the info into WT. However, SF must extrapolate the actual data into more useful graphics. While not perfect, I usually find SF wind forecasting to be pretty darn good, although, last weekend it was unusually way off.

The big advantage of WT is being able to download and save the files, when I have a 3G signal, and review them at my leisure. If I'm coastal cruising, I typically have a good signal, with an exception in a few anchorages or when we've been off the Maine coast. If 3G is strong, I think SF still has the competitive advantage for near coast wind data and one would more likely just stay there to view it. I'm only sharing this to be helpful in your development thoughts. The coastal cruising community outnumbers the offshore community by many many multiples. I would want them as a customer base.

You asked about an annual subscription. I would consider paying one, if the graphic and coastal data were similar to SF and I could download and save the data like WT allows now, without having to bounce around sites. Get that SSB thing worked out and it would be easily sold. I would suggest a 3mo subscription, as most offshore trips are fairly contained, or many have only a 6 mo boating season and would buy two. Then offer a discounted annual subscription.

Quote:
There is already a drop down box, please see pic attached. All you need to do is tap the date and select the time. Please note that if you have iOS 6 installed, there is a bug in iOS that prevents this to work. We have a workaround in the pipeline that should be in the app store soon.
This is great and works fine for me, I haven't upgraded versions yet!! Not intuitive, like nearly all Ipad software is. Most drop down boxes have a graphic box around them, suggesting it is a button, and/or a carrot to the side. I would highly suggest the tweak.

Quote:
That is on our to do list already, takes a while though
Hope you can prove it was in development, because I'm filing a motion for royalties.....

Thanks for the feedback above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook