SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"
View Single Post
post #57 of Old 09-30-2012
Maine Sail
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Post survey adjustments should be reserved for either undisclosed or unexpected squawks.

If the buyer just doesn't like the overall condition of the boat, when the surveyor tells them that they will have lots of maintenance after they buy it, then the expected outcome should be to walk away.
Sadly very often lack of "buyer" homework, lack of knowledge and a focus so ridiculously honed in on the ultimate bottom line purchase price causes many to lose BEAUTIFUL boats. The top 2% condition boats almost always, and I use the word almost for a reason because there are always exceptions, go to the most experienced buyers who;

A) know what they want
B) know exactly what they are looking at
C) recognize a great value or fair asking price
D) Have bought an sold many times
E) know all the details of the boat they are offering on
F) have looked at numerous other examples of the model

Good boats don't last on the market and bad boats rot into the ground. Some top condition boats never even hit the market. Experienced buyers seek them out and make offers on them despite the vessel not technically being "for sale". We've had a a few people ask us to sell our current boat but we are not ready to sell. Never hurts to ask! These are EXPERIENCED buyers...! Owners selling boats on this end of the condition spectrum know the value too and don't often succumb to "nickle and dime" dances with inexperienced buyers, simply because they don't have to.

When we sold our Catalina 310 I knew she was the cleanest, best equipped and best cared for example on the market. Of course I had studied the market as a seller so knew exactly what I was competing against. Using "Sold Boat" data and the other examples I priced our boat for what she was worth.

The first looker made an offer. My answer was "sorry no" and based on his offer I countered at full asking price because I knew how the "dance" would go with an inexperienced buyer... I knew he would walk and really did not care because I knew another buyer would soon come along.. He left in a huff "thinking" he made a good offer. He had not because he did not know the market other than "most boats" sell for 10-15% less than asking price. He had incorrectly lumped a "pristine" vessel in with the rest of the crap on the market that often does sell for 10-15% less than asking. If he knew more he'd have known the boat was in the top 0.1% of condition and that these boats rarely even get discounted a percent or two beyond asking price, because they don't have to.

After walking off he then proceeded to look at the other boats on the East Coast market spending more in air fare and travel then he would have by just making a "reasonable" offer up front.

By the time he came back, knowing the boat represented a tremendous value, she was under contract with a more experienced buyer. The experienced buyer made an EXCELLENT offer that was based on years of experience and the fact that he too had done his homework.

During the survey the battery charger fried (literally at the dock during the survey). That was the only item he tried to re-negotiate on. Everything else, like a small scratch on one of the dodger windows, and some gelcoat repair and some already resolved warranty items to "watch" had already been fully disclosed. He asked for $700.00 to replace the charger. I told him the charger would be operational within 72 hours, which it was, and told him the price was still the price. I fixed the charger, at my cost, which was far from $700.00. He bought the boat with no further nickle and dime dancing.

Boat was worth what was being asked, I knew it, buyer knew it, and knew a good value when he saw it. Two days after the closing the first guy came back wanting to make a "much more reasonable offer" but he had already lost it.

I bought a boat that was advertised literally as an "11 out of 10". Unless that is what the offer says, you can't negotiate for it later.
That's the boat you want to buy! Oh, you can try to renegotiate but a seller of an 11 out of 10 or top 2%er is likely going to slough you off because they already know the value and that another guy with buying experience will soon come along and recognize the value....

Different boats sell differently. The junker that has sat on the market for 2 years will likely be able to be negotiated down after survey because the seller has no real clue as to condition or value.

In my experience;

Inexperienced sellers/owners most often sell boats to inexperienced buyers

Experienced sellers/owners most often sell boats to experienced buyers

Inexperienced buyers rarely end up with the cleanest, best equipped and best maintained boats which costs them far more over the duration of ownership.

Experienced buyers most often end up with the cleanest, best equipped and best maintained boats costing them far less over the duration of ownership.

Disclaimer: NONE of this is aimed at anyone in this tread, especially the OP. It is from my own experience over 40+ years of boating and buying, selling and owning LOTS of boats.

-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-30-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome