SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
...That's the boat you want to buy! Oh, you can try to renegotiate but a seller of an 11 out of 10 or top 2%er is likely going to slough you off because they already know the value and that another guy with buying experience will soon come along and recognize the value........
I agree. I've bought a bunch of "good values" over the years, from cars to boats to aircraft, and each to an item required me to put the money in after purchase instead. In some cases, even more.

For trivia, in the example I gave above, the surveyor determined that the AGM winch batts (two 12v in series) would not last more than 10 or 15 mins. I did not notice that when I looked her over, which was while she was on the hard and stored inside. I believe the seller didn't know either, as she wasn't commissioned for the season yet. That's not 11 out of 10, so the seller installed two new ones. He also identified that the rear white nav light was obscured by the dinghy and should have been remounted where visible or was in violation for the delivery. Again, for a regular purchase, sellers shouldn't have to deal with it. For an 11 out of 10, that got fixed too. But I paid probably 10 or 15% more than the next best example of her on the market. That's the point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook