SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Bingo!
...The first looker made an offer. My answer was "sorry no" and based on his offer I countered at full asking price because I knew how the "dance" would go with an inexperienced buyer... I knew he would walk and really did not care because I knew another buyer would soon come along.. He left in a huff "thinking" he made a good offer. He had not because he did not know the market other than "most boats" sell for 10-15% less than asking price. He had incorrectly lumped a "pristine" vessel in with the rest of the crap on the market that often does sell for 10-15% less than asking. If he knew more he'd have known the boat was in the top 0.1% of condition and that these boats rarely even get discounted a percent or two beyond asking price, because they don't have to. ...
Considering the recurring posts about "buying strategies" which differ solely by how large a discount to ask off an asking price..10%, 25%...50%!! egad. You have finally posted the ultimate advice on buying a sailboat.

This post should be a sticky!

Buying a boat should be all about value...and can only be approached by a rigorous effort to definite and evaluate value. The relationship between value and asking price is very haphazard and unreliable... Strategies for "% off..." offers, are only different twists on how a buyer can guarantee to screw himself in buying a boat.

Last edited by sailingfool; 09-30-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook