SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ranger 37 - should I??
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012

JohnEltin is on a distinguished road
Re: Ranger 37 - should I??

Thanks for the response 'Faster' - I already saw those Ranger specs and it looks the same. Mine might even be a 1980 Hull.

Here's what a more experienced cruising friend advised: May be a bit flimsy. Also, may date back to the 1970's I think...prone to osmosis.

One item...the keel...draft seems to be between 5ft6 and 6 feet in the ones I had a look at. The keel is deep and short fore and aft, similar to our Duncanson. Such keels work well, but the draft can be a bloody nuisance...very restrictive with regards places to anchor...estuaries, idyllic coral atolls with dusky maiden beckoning, etc. Also...not Easy to go aground with..tippy.....and difficult on some slipways also.

If I were to get another yacht, for cruising, and if I were not fussy about speed, only seaworthiness....then I would go for something around the same size...37 feet is fine...but with a longer cruising keel and no more than 4 ft6 draft!!!!! Much better...maybe not so good to windward, but what the hell!

Seems this boat may be unsuitable for the Great Barrier Reef and Corel Seas ????. And maybe bob about too much for comfort?

Last edited by JohnEltin; 09-30-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook