SailNet Community - View Single Post - singlehanded sailing course
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Re: singlehanded sailing course

After taking some ASA classes, 101-105, I started day sailing a group of boats in the charter schools fleet of school boat and charter boats. I felt comfortable sailing the boats but wanted better skills especially when single handling the boats.

I hired one of my favorite instructors from the classes and asked him to put together a day instructing me on single handling a boat, that day it was a Catalina 30. He made me do everything. I am sure if we would have gotten in trouble he would have jumped in, but that was not our mission. We practiced everything from simple tacks to jibes. That day the wind was blowing 20+ and he had me do a series of jibes down the bay. He explained what should happen, what to look for, etc.. It was easy...because he was there.
We also spent time in maneuving under power inside the breakwall and docking....which I was most nervous about. He again explained the situation and it became easy. At the end of the day it was the best money I ever spent and gave me a jump start.

I have no idea what your skill level is to begin with. If you don't sail and want to learn a 10 day one on one, if affordable, makes sense. If you already sail and want more confidence single handling I would think that 10 days might be over kill.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook