SailNet Community - View Single Post - Navionics chart plotter / GPS app for Droid phone, plus Chesapeake Smart Buoys
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012

jkrause is on a distinguished road
Re: Navionics chart plotter / GPS app for Droid phone, plus Chesapeake Smart Buoys

My sweetie and I both installed Navionics on our iThings to use as backups for cruises this past summer (Lake Michigan & the Pacific NW). It was about $40 - the most I've ever spent on an app. I found it extremely intuitive, easy to use, and very accurate. It also has access to tide data and can create/measure routes. It only took me a few minutes to download charts over a wi-fi connection. I downloaded another set almost as quickly over a 3G network. It's also easy to set display units (E.g. depth and speed).

While this might seem obvious, a key feature is its ability to download and store maps on your handheld device. The significance is that once you download the charts, you have the map data even if you're not in cellphone range. (Many of the places we visit have no cell coverage.)

But it's just an app- and while it doesn't provide things like AIS, it's still a pretty amazing tool.

Last edited by jkrause; 10-01-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook