SailNet Community - View Single Post - Challenging ASA ratings?
View Single Post
post #29 of Old 10-01-2012 Thread Starter
jephotog

Re: Challenging ASA ratings?

Just felt I owed a follow up with my results. I spent the last 6 years living in Utah with little sailing. I moved last year to San Diego County. My schedule was fairly busy not allowing me to sail much. I joined a club that allowed me to take out boats to 25 feet. I took out a boat 3 times, read the ASA 103 book and found a place that let me challenge the 101 and 103 courses. I passed the written portions with 90%+. Spent one hour of the checkout docking and motoring as I knew that was my weak point. We then went out of the harbor where I was able to tack and jibe the boat solo (although I was very sloppy with a wheel) to prove I knew how to sail. We spent some more time doing MOB I mean COB drills. So for less than $300 I got 2 hours of private lessons, and walked away with my ASA 101 and 103 ratings.

Shortly after that a girl I met through work and told about sailing called and asked if I could take out her 5 friends. So here is the happy captain, and his crew, all of which payed their share of the charter of the 32 foot boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9644.jpg (57.7 KB, 31 views)

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome