SailNet Community - View Single Post - Challenging ASA ratings?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Challenging ASA ratings?

Just felt I owed a follow up with my results. I spent the last 6 years living in Utah with little sailing. I moved last year to San Diego County. My schedule was fairly busy not allowing me to sail much. I joined a club that allowed me to take out boats to 25 feet. I took out a boat 3 times, read the ASA 103 book and found a place that let me challenge the 101 and 103 courses. I passed the written portions with 90%+. Spent one hour of the checkout docking and motoring as I knew that was my weak point. We then went out of the harbor where I was able to tack and jibe the boat solo (although I was very sloppy with a wheel) to prove I knew how to sail. We spent some more time doing MOB I mean COB drills. So for less than $300 I got 2 hours of private lessons, and walked away with my ASA 101 and 103 ratings.

Shortly after that a girl I met through work and told about sailing called and asked if I could take out her 5 friends. So here is the happy captain, and his crew, all of which payed their share of the charter of the 32 foot boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9644.jpg (57.7 KB, 31 views)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook