SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Offshore or coastal. I'm not so curious about the people who want to hitch a ride on a day sail or participate in races on OPBs, I get that and I suggest it frequently. I'm more curious about the people who want to go distances.
Offshore and Coastal are two different worlds.Coastal is actually easier than picking up race crew for long distance races (e.g. Chicago Mac, Newport Bermuda) In coastal you can always head for shore if someone doesn't work out. At most you are likely to be two or less days from shore - consider direct Beaufort - Miami. In racing dumping bad crew means abandoning the race so the stakes are higher. In offshore (e.g. an Atlantic transit) you are days from shore and so the stakes are the highest. You are stuck with the person no matter what. If you have multiple people on board one can really mess up an entire trip.

More importantly, I have found that offshore is nothing like racing or cruising. After many years of sailing I started doing coastal transits that got me 500 NM offshore. Knowing you are 5 days from land has massive psychological impact. I soloed the Atlantic, figuring that I had enough experience with offshore. A 5 day passage is very different than a 21 day passage.

I would never take an nubie offshore no matter how motivated (OK, young, pretty, rich, father owns a liquor store - no, not even then.)
The down side is just too much risk.

I use Find a Crew™ by NAUTYCAL™ - Worldwide Reasons:
1) There is a built in recommendation system. As a Captain I can provide feedback on crew, the crew can provide feedback on Captains.
2) There is a system for validating identity. When traveling from country to country passports, visas, criminal history become very important. More than one boat has arrived in port with the Captain having "fallen overboard." Not the way I want to end my life.
3) Since it is menu driven I get the same fairly comprehensive information about each potential crew member. It makes it easier to compare.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook