SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nissan 9.8 priming problem
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Nissan 9.8 priming problem

Probably some fine 'crud' got stuck on the needle valve that supplies the carburetor bowl --- does happen. Use only 'fresh' fuel and or properly stabilized fuel to prevent. If it continues, thoroughly clean out the tank, change the gas-line filter, etc. and start over with clean fuel, clean everything else, etc. Most times this is just a transitory 'glitch' as even 'very fine' particles stick together to make larger and larger particles.

I wouldnt go through the cost and trouble of fixing it, unless it starts to be a recurrent problem ... until then dont 'pump so hard' as it sometimes takes a wee bit of time for the 'soft rubber' tip of that needle valve to form a complete seal.
I usually dump a wee bit of carb cleaner into my fuel every now and then, always try to run the carb to 'dry' when shutting down ... and remove the jets to squirt in isopropyl alcohol to 'flush' and keep the 'jets' and air passages/bleeds from forming gum during long periods of layup.

Clean and 'fresh' fuel is the best and first consideration. Dump the 'old' gasoline into your auto and ancient lawnmower.

Last edited by RichH; 10-01-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook