SailNet Community - View Single Post - Experiences with Tricare while cruising?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Experiences with Tricare while cruising?

There are sections in the tricare web site that talk about overseas care. First, you are on Standard or Prime until you get to 65. At 65 you get Tricare for Life but only in the United States. (No comment about what might happen to Tricare - this is the sailing, not political thread.) In the rest of the world you get Tricare Standard after age 65 so the strategy is get stabilized and get back to the US. Each country has a different Tricare manager - they are all listed on the international part of the Tricare web site.

A couple of other things I have learned:
1) The Express Scripts Tricare Pharmacy can not ship overseas. You need an intermediary in the US to get the delivery and forward it to you.
2) Certain countries will not let you import drugs. I am in Spain - no way can I get my drugs delivered from my agent in the US (who got it from Express Scripts.) On the other hand many common drugs do not require prescriptions - I am on Lipator and Palvix both of which are over the counter here in Spain. As long as you are willing to pay they will sell you any quantity - when I leave Spain I will stock up with a three month supply - by then I should be in the USVI or Puerto Rico where the USPS will deliver the drugs.Doctors and Pharmacies can send drugs to Spain but my attempts to do that were a losing battle.
3)) If you call Express Scripts they will give you a six month supply - called a vacation supply, but I think only once per year.
4) You do have to pay for the drugs, but again cost can depend on where you are. In Spain I paid about 100 € for a three month supply of both Lipator and Plavix. The cost in the US would have been considerably higher. I have not yet gotten the reimbursement for the drugs. It is on my round-to-it list.

Summary - best you can do out of the US is Tricare Standard after 65. Stock up as best you can on drugs, know the drug import policies for the places you intend to visit.

Hope this helps. If you learn more please share it here.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook