SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
True, particularly for the lowest price surveyors that charge by the foot. Buyers should learn to pay sufficiently that they can do a thorough job.

My current boat took two guys a day and a half. You don't get that for a fixed price per foot.
Expense is no qualification in my books.
If looked at hourly, I paid around 200$ an hour for my surveyors time. Official company and everything. Considering he was surveying a boat with manual everything, single ac outlet, 6 thru hulls and one light, with no liner to get in the way, it's amazing he was able to find ways to spend the few hours he did take. Even more so that he missed everything from the non functional sea cocks(they spin but don't close), to the misrepresented engine, batteries and the delaminated mast beam and tabbing.

When it comes time to sell her, I will be quite happy to wait for a buyer who appreciates the condition she'll be in then. The buyers who want to bend me over a barrel and squeeze every nickel they can out of me will be more than welcome to learn the hard way as I did, on one of the mis represented boats because I'll be selling a solid well equipped boat at a fair price based on the market at the time.

The 10k(at least) for me to get her there is my cost of my learning, but if a buyer is going to use a padded survey to beat me down in price then I'll be happy to refund their deposit and keep the boat a bit longer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook