SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engine paint.
Thread: Engine paint.
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Engine paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Say you degrease the engine, and remove loose rust, if you use the factory paint (or equal) do you prime first? If so, with what? I was planning on using the Moeller engine paint on my yanmar. Got some of the zinc Chromate primer and the top coat paint which I plan to use. Also have a can of the yanmar engine paint (dark silver).

If one were to only use the yanmar paint, do you just paint over bare metal and rust with it or do you need to prime? If I use the Moeller zinc chromate primer, is this ok to use on bare steel, iron, and the aluminum gear box?
I can only speak of touch-ups on my Volvo MD2040, but I've never primed before spraying with cheap engine enamel and have, to date, had no issues with the paint flaking off after de-greasing and de-rusting first.