SailNet Community - View Single Post - Securing dinghy on davits
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Re: Securing dinghy on davits

Dave, you have some good concerns.

The topping lift on my boat is just a spare main halyard. Never have needed it as a topping lift. In this use it just takes a little load off the backstay and is less than 3 feet off center. Negligible really.

No cross piece - No trapezoidal load either. There are braces mounted outboard and back to the rail, but I'm thinking of moving them inboard, but that will mean I will not be able to pull in the bow of the dink as far. There is no swing as they are lashed in tight to the pushpit. It is important to remember these are light duty davits. I would not use them for a long passage, I also have the option to remove the outboard and hang the dink the other way if I want. But the dink will go on deck for long passages.

Bridal is line - but stretch over such a short length is irrelevant. I have shortened them about 2 inches from what you see in the pictures. I would like to raise the engine end a bit as it was touching the water coming home with a large following sea and some 20kt winds.

I will still make some improvements but impressed with how well they worked and how solid the dinghy was. But I had things ratched in tight.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook