SailNet Community - View Single Post - Universal M18 - stopping using throttle push back
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: Universal M18 - stopping using throttle push back

Single lever throttle controls as described by Joe do NOT by design shut off the fuel completely. If the fuel were shut off when the lever is pulled aft for stern propulsion the engine would stop. Engines with single lever controls like this must use a separate cable for fuel shutoff...an engine stop cable.

Many engines have throttle controls that differ from the controls described in engine manuals. For example my Yanmar tech manual describes a dual lever control system with one lever for the transmission and a separate lever for the fuel. With this system the fuel is completely shut off when the fuel lever is pulled to the full stop position and no separate engine stop cable is used. Engine reversing was accomplished by shifting the second lever from full forward to full aft.

The installed system is a single lever system. I replaced the old system with it because it was simple and reliable and less expensive. I had to install an engine stop cable as a result of the change.

Capt T: I don't think the lever you are pulling is the decompression lever. It is more than likely the engine stop control cable. Your manual is correct...it is a bad idea to use decompression of the cylinders to stop the engine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook