SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Does anyone else do this while refitting?

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Jgbrown 
#1 ·
Whenever my never ending refit gets me down. Which is usually whenever I get in a fight with the person who lives on the other settee over who got the sawdust/fiberglass or paint chips in the other's bed/clothes.:laugher.

I browse yachtworld and look at other boats. 90% of the time I see boats with more worn out parts, or spot a dozen things I'd have to fix and console myself that at least I'm not fixing that boat.
If that fails I'll open the cabinets and look at my sink drain, which I'm very proud of right now.

Took me 6 tries to get my sink drain just right, but now it's RIGHT. Maybe not on par with building a boat from scratch, but probably fairly close. :p
Whoever thought a 1 1/2" sink drain 9" above a 1 1/4" throughhull was a good idea should be keelhauled.

#2 ·
I do the same thing, jg....it is amazing how satisfying it is to look at other boats on Yachtworld in the same general category and price range as mine and see that they have as many or more opportunities for improvement as my boat does. Just have to avoid bumping the price range scale too high and looking at temptations that are beyond my reach.......

#5 ·
Yachtworld is poison in our house. We removed all the deck hardware and toe rail and repainted the deck this winter-spring-summer. We still haven't gotten everything put back together from b/f painting. If I show my wife a picture of some nice boat on YW, and say, "gee wouldn't this be nice...", I am likely to get a shoe upside the cranium.:D

#6 ·
Whatever it takes to get you through a refit is fair (I also get great satisfaction looking at how I ingeniously solved our sink drain problem). If it takes looking at disasters on YW, or walking down the dock daily to look at the sad, abandoned, and "at least ours isn't that bad" example, just do it. It's a bit of a one day at a time type of experience where you learn to dig deep and pull up reserves that you never knew you had to get through it:))

#7 ·
Indeed it is:) What was your sink drain problem? Mine was "solved" by the previous owner by using home depot grade drain hose complete with glued on ends and a short plastic washer in the end and by wrapping the seacock pipe in electrical tape to make up for it's lack of diameter. My sink drain is below waterline.:eek:
Went to double clamp it and got a rude surprise.
Tried everything from 100$ in bronze fittings from west marine(right idea, wouldn't leave a good angle for drain hose, or in the end actually fit under there.) to trying to locate a sink with a 1 1/4" drain or to use a extender that would shrink the size at the top of hoze instead of the bottom.
in the end I replaced the drain part of the sink with a 1 1/4" abs fitting, and the hose keeps the sea out even without hose clamps(left it for 8 hrs to check while I was fussing with other stuff in the same area).
Double clamped with opposite facing non perforated clamps now of course :)

#8 ·
It was minor really, just a question of finding flexible connectors that would connect two different sized pipes. Double sink and a custom made stainless drain pipe/manifold trying to connect to standard sink drains. It took some research and trying several things before I stumbled across something that worked perfectly.

#12 ·
LOL the thought did cross my mind... Until I realized that I'd be raising the counter too high to be useable by the time I got the vertical nature of the drain I wanted(not a bad horizontal section of hose under stress).
and that I'd be adding several more failure points below the waterline. My solution saved a pile of money on bronze parts I returned, and made for only one additional potential failure joint which is above the waterline vs below.
Funny! I'm replacing countertops too. My stove doesn't sit "quite" level, there's a little gap near the center. It is a nuthouse. My next goal is to find another nut, with a bigger boat and buy that one next time, save myself at least a bit of the headache :)
I spent a happy day last week doing nothing but buying and organizing screws... I now have square drive in every size I use, pan and countersunk heads every size from 3/8-3.5" and correct finishing washers. Can't stand slightly stripped or incorrect fastners.

#13 ·
I now have square drive in every size I use, pan and countersunk heads every size from 3/8-3.5" .
No you don't - you have ROBERTSON drive fasteners. Being Canadian, you should know better than to use that ignorant "square drive" moniker for the best screw head ever designed. :)

#15 ·
Robertson did the world such a favour by inventing that screw head that it is incumbent upon us knowledgeable folk to educate the "square drive" ignoramuses. :D

#20 ·
To the OP, I don't know what you consider to be a really long time but I once spent 798 days living in the boatyard doing a complete rebuild. When I would get really frustrated I would stop what I was doing and try and solve my Rubiks cube, after about 30 seconds of that the boat project seemed easy. Keep the faith my brother, there is always an end :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.