SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does anyone else do this while refitting?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone else do this while refitting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Whatever it takes to get you through a refit is fair (I also get great satisfaction looking at how I ingeniously solved our sink drain problem). If it takes looking at disasters on YW, or walking down the dock daily to look at the sad, abandoned, and "at least ours isn't that bad" example, just do it. It's a bit of a one day at a time type of experience where you learn to dig deep and pull up reserves that you never knew you had to get through it:-))
Indeed it is:-) What was your sink drain problem? Mine was "solved" by the previous owner by using home depot grade drain hose complete with glued on ends and a short plastic washer in the end and by wrapping the seacock pipe in electrical tape to make up for it's lack of diameter. My sink drain is below waterline.
Went to double clamp it and got a rude surprise.
Tried everything from 100$ in bronze fittings from west marine(right idea, wouldn't leave a good angle for drain hose, or in the end actually fit under there.) to trying to locate a sink with a 1 1/4" drain or to use a extender that would shrink the size at the top of hoze instead of the bottom.
in the end I replaced the drain part of the sink with a 1 1/4" abs fitting, and the hose keeps the sea out even without hose clamps(left it for 8 hrs to check while I was fussing with other stuff in the same area).
Double clamped with opposite facing non perforated clamps now of course :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook