SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

One of the LAST boats I would want to be on is an IP in higher winds......but that is me.

My wife would also prefer one a bit less cramped than what we have. BUT, even a full keeler would not have a lot more room. I was on boar an Eric jr awhile back. Half the room of my boat, with the same length etc. Not sure it would do any better in a blow either.

As said, one needs to decide WHICH keel will work best for that persons circumstances. Be it a fin, full, something in the middle, or for that matter, a CB style! Along with for kicks and giggles, lets throw in a canting keel with dagger boards! ie a V70 or equal style boat! Schock built a 40' canter for awhile.......you could probably still get one if you really wanted it!

At the end of the day, choose based on where you are going, how you wish to sail etc. For me, it would not be a full keel, not matter where I was going! IF I needed shoal draft, I would go with a CB or lifting keel of some sort. then put it down in deeper water for the additional pointing etc they offer over full keels. Then an appropriate hull form which is probably more important for comfort etc. than keel shape or form.

Marty