SailNet Community - View Single Post - Experiences with Tricare while cruising?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Experiences with Tricare while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Qualifying for the VA is dependent upon your circumstances not on your retirement. I have been out to the web site and don't qualify. You might so it is worth a trip to fill out the form and see.

New topic - OVERSEAS BASES

Overseas bases are not like those in the US. They are governed by Status of Forces agreements. They may be joint bases with the host country controlling a lot of the policy. For example in Rota, Spain the base is run by the Spanish. Retired can not use the Commissary or the Exchange but are permitted to use the mini-mart. The mini-mart is quite big and well stocked but it is not the Commissary. I got my hair cut but I think that was just because I was there and technically I was not authorized to use the barber shop. What you can do varies from country to country. Most have no marina facilities Access in Rota is controlled by the Spanish. You have to get a new pass every two days. Summary - don't plan to go to a US overseas base and expect the same reception and services that you would get in the US.

US BASES:

Get a copy of Skipper Bob's Guide to Military Marinas. It is free if you send them an email. Good places to stop to reprovision and they will be cheaper than the local economy. They are seasonal and may be hard to get into (e.g. Key West NAF in the winter.) Call well ahead - several months in fact. Again, policies vary. In Key West everyone must be a US Citizen. In other bases NATO allies are welcomed, in others as long as you vouch for them and they are in the US legally there will be no problem In one unnamed base (you will see why in a minute) the CO extended the courtesy of docking two Canadian boats I was traveling with for a couple of days as long as I was willing to vouch for their conduct. (That was a stretch, they were cruisers after all.) Don't depend on historic data. A new CO can change the policies overnight and in my experience this does happen with some regularity.

Enjoy your new cruising life.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook