SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Clothing optional sailing

66K views 153 replies 67 participants last post by  robodd 
#1 ·
Just curious how many others enjoy sailing while not getting tan lines? I bought my sailboat last year and it seems most dates I’ve taken sailing had no problems enjoying the sun au natural, now my fiancée is the same way we quite enjoy sailing while soaking some sun!?? :)

Thanks
The Irish American, GSL Utah

#42 ·
Couldn't let Jon be the only one...

#44 ·
I grew up in an extremely conservative family where the idea of being naked served no purpose in life. No even in the shower alone. However, I also grew up with a different outlook and explored it once I got to be old enough. I swore I would not allow my kids to grow in that retarded environment full of taboos. My wife in the other hand, grew up in a very open family environment where nudity was common place daily. We have both enjoyed nudity in beaches and out to sea everywhere we have been.

It is always funny to me that once you mention nude beach, or nude boat, or nude anything the first thing that comes to mind to most people is how good they or anyone else look naked or something sexual. Truth is most people don't really care, and not even notice 3 min into it. I don't go nude anywhere so others see how great I look or how "enticing" I can be without clothing, nor do I think that anyone else does it for that reason. However, that is the most commonly mentioned thing.

I went to a beach in Italy last summer where everyone was nude, including me, wife, and both of my boys (7 and 9). An 80 y.o. lady sat next to us, got naked, and spent the day there like nothing. She had a colostomy bag secondary to a colon resection (colon cancer in her case). I am a doctor and did not think a darn thing about it other than how courageous it was for her to be out as a survivor doing what she liked and enjoyed at her age. When I came back to the US, I told the story to someone and they were petrified and mortified. Their words were "I would die if I had to see that". That was the stupidest thing I could hear, but that is common I guess..........

#45 ·
Advantages:
None of those pesky tan lines
More fun applying sun tan lotion
No trips to the laundry
Your choice of anchorages (at least in our case - one look and everybody leaves :rolleyes:

Reactions: TerralTheSeeker
#49 ·
Yeah, well . . . interesting conversation, but I gotta say, that in NW Montana, the "window" for this activity is pretty gosh darned short. Ladies and gentlemen, we have 'frost on the pumpkins' already. Not much naked sailing going on around here. Now about those frosty pumpkins . . . .

#52 ·
Yup, always sail nude, my boat is considered clothing optional by the crew, both male and female. And no we don't get our man hood or woman hood caught in anything. We've all been using our equipment for many years and don't get it caught at home so what's the diff? I've caught myself in my clothing many times in dangerous machines, but never have I got my dinghy caught in anything.

There is a significant nudist sailing group on the Chesapeake. Only a textile person would worry about what they look like naked, we consider nudism to be the norm and totally natural so nobody looks weird when naked to us.

I personally can't stand to where clothes while its hot. Uggh, how can you guys sail with clothes on?

#57 ·
Sounds like most of you need to spend 20 min in a nude beach simply for the education. First of, 99.9% of people in a nude beach or nude places in general are not looking at how good or bad you look. We all can tell that without you taking your cloth off! Second, you are likely the only one worrying about how you measure up. Third, clothing optional places have a slice of the general population with the same proportions of fat people, short people, old people, young people, skinny people, etc, but for reason people that have never been to one seem to think it is like going to a supermodel convention!

#66 ·
You'd love it down here on the Florida Panhandle.

I was sweating my rear end off last weekend out on Pensacola Bay.

Gonna be in the 70's this weekend, too.

Of course, the appearance of a stark naked fellow out on the Bay would be frowned upon in this community.

#62 ·
Ha! My equipment isn't big enough to get caught on a cleat! LOL Hey, comes in handy riding the sport bike!

I always point out to guests that the #1 buoy at Clearwater Pass is the clothing optional line. I only disrobe if the guest does.

Back in the day I raced on a local boat named "Acquittal," yeah, owner was an attorney. One of the crew, Lenni Belle, was our secret weapon in close quarters. We'd send her up on the foredeck topless. This was before boob jobs were everywhere and LB was naturally endowed with spectacular breasts. Heh Heh, good times.

DB

#63 ·
@MedSailor, I don't particular see it either the way you say. Personally, I do enjoy the nude beach, the nude time at the pool or hot tub, and the sailing nude if I care. Outside of that, I personally don't see myself making an effort to be nude. I guess it is the definition of "clothing optional".

#69 ·
We're renaming our new boat the same as our old boat...Nauti Time. How about Full Moon?

#76 ·
Just curious how many others enjoy sailing while not getting tan lines? I bought my sailboat last year and it seems most dates I've taken sailing had no problems enjoying the sun au natural, now my fiancée is the same way we quite enjoy sailing while soaking some sun!?? :)

Thanks
The Irish American, GSL Utah
The only problem I could find is the word "fiancee". :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.