SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seafarer 34 Purchase - Trampoline Deck Problem
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
Seafarer 34 Purchase - Trampoline Deck Problem

I'm looking at purchasing a Seafarer 34 centerboard, sloop sailboat and am hoping someone can add some of their expertise to my decision process. First, this is a 40 year old boat. It has a Yanmar 30 HP that was installed in 2009 and has less than 50 hours on it. All the port lights are new and pictures of the interior look good. I'm going to view it later this week to check out all the equipment and sails.

Now the negative. The broker was upfront with me and called the deck and cockpit "trampolines." The Seafarer 34 research site states that the deck has a balsa core. The broker said that the asking price of $15,000 for the boat includes the fix, which has been quoted by a contractor at $5,200. For that amount, the contractor will take up the deck and cockpit, fix it, and apply non-skid paint to the finished deck.

My concern is controlling the quality of the repair, whether the price is right (too little indicating short cuts or too much indicating a high balled price), and weight consequences of the new core material since the contractor will probably use something other than balsa wood.

Any insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also, any comments on the Seafarer 34 are welcome. If I buy the boat, it will be with an eye to eventually taking it cruising to the Bahamas and down to the Caribbean as far south as the Grenadines.

A little about me. I have extensive blue water sailing experience and deliverd sailboats for a living in the 90's. However, I have not owned a sailboat since 1985 and never owned one bigger than 27'; although I have sailed boats up to 60'.