SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pictures: Those perfect moments

177K views 540 replies 130 participants last post by  fl01 
#1 ·
I like so much some of those pictures on the Sunset/Sunrise picture thread that I think it is a pity that I cannot see other great pictures that are not related with sunset or sunrise and I know you guys have them;).

I want to see those beautiful pictures so I am open this thread for it.

Some rules : Utilize a site like photobucket, imageShack, Photoshelter or similar site to host the photos before post here, don't post bigger than 800/600, preferably that size (15" screen) and post only one photo each time. you can post more after others have posted.

Of course, these are only suggestions, do what you like if you do not agree, except in what regards Max size. Bigger will make difficult to see them on laptops.

Well, first one:

2006, Esteiro, Rias Galegas, Galiza, North of Spain.

See less See more
#433 ·
Hope you weren't over there for storm watching.

#432 · (Edited)
It is supposed you to have bad weather on Canada:rolleyes:

I am happy for you (and the pictures are beautiful). I think often in you guys that live the winter in the boat. This year has been very bad here (and on the Atlantic European coast). Huge 15m waves have been causing havoc in all coast destroying houses, restaurants and even railroads.

When nature is angry and huge waves hit the coast Portuguese sailors seat at the fireplace and this has been an incredibly bad year for Fishermen. Some foreigners don't take it too seriously and two days ago this 64ft aluminium Polish yacht was thrown to the coast, happily to a beach and happily they all got away alive (they were rescued previously). It was on the South coast that is not half has bad as the west coast.

Be careful out there, stay well and safe;)

#437 ·
.. and it's always a treat to get a good picture of your own boat under sail!

#441 ·
This is from last summer, during a casual regatta that's a fundraiser for our local youth sailing program. Took a couple buddies along as crew, had beautiful weather and great wind for the race, and just an all-around fun day.

Reactions: PCP
#442 ·
Thank you all for the awesome pictures and moments away. I stumbled across the thread this morning and have been glued to it...3 coffees now). :D We take possession of Sea Bear, our new (to us) Union 36 next week and cannot wait to begin our own Desolation Sound adventures.

#443 ·
A few more snippets from our recent West Coast road trip..

It's February, just below freezing, and there are surfers out here! (Look closely)

Another 'group hug' shot...

Reactions: PCP and jrd22
#444 · (Edited)
we need a little multihull and Southeast US love up in here!

BOUDICCA, my last boat. This is in the Destin Pass, Florida during the Round the Island race. We're just setting her chute. I do miss her so:

Dragonfly matching her colors. We were anchored at Bird Key, near Tampa Florida

Sunset, the same night as the dragonfly:

Communing with manatees, Sister Creek (near Boot Key), Florida

Bringing the 'new' Catana home. Sunrise near Virginia Key (Miami, Florida):

#448 ·
Scilla

I am grateful to an Italia member that pointed it to me on the interesting boat thread. It is a lovely town at the enter of Messina strait.

You can stay at anchor in front of the beach, I mean, in front of the rocks because in Italia the police doesn't allow you to stay in front of a beach or on a paid buoy on the other side of the town (there the bottom is rock). Not very comfortable (strong currents) but enough for settled weather if you don't mind to rock a little at night.

The place is famous and known since antiquity:
The promontory is well described by Strabo as a projecting rocky headland, jutting out boldly into the sea, and united to the mainland by a narrow neck or isthmus, so as to form two small but well sheltered bays, one on each side. There can be no doubt that this rocky promontory was the one which became the subject of so many fables, and which was represented by Homer and other poets as the abode of the monster Scylla.

At a later period Anaxilas, the despot of Rhegium, being struck with the natural strength of the position, fortified the rock, and established a naval station there, for the purpose of checking the incursions of the Tyrrhenian pirates. In consequence of this a small town grew up on the spot; and hence Pliny speaks of an oppidum Scyllaeum; but it was probably always a small place, and other writers speak only of the promontory. At the present day the rock is still occupied by a fort...

Wiki

#450 · (Edited)
Taormina, Sicily 2013.

Very good anchorage. You can leave the boat but you better take a bus to Taormina, just on top of the hill, because it is a BIG hill.

Famous place:

... The theory that Tauromenion was founded by colonists from Naxos is confirmed by Strabo and other ancient writers.
Tauromenium again played a conspicuous part during the wars of Sextus Pompeius in Sicily, and, from its strength as a fortress, was one of the principal points of the position which he took up in 36 BC, for defense against Octavian. It became the scene also of a sea-fight between a part of the fleet of Octavian, commanded by the triumvir in person, and that of Pompeius, which terminated in the defeat and almost total destruction of the former...

Wiki

And a very beautiful place too. Pity that I arrived too late to visit the Greek theater that it is magnificent (look for photos on the google).

Taormina is a kind of hot spot in Sicily were everybody seems to come in for the night. Beautiful girls and ladies everywhere and all dressed up like going to a party: the city looks like a party:)

#452 ·
Re: Taormina, Sicily 2013.

Taormina is a kind of hot spot in Sicily were everybody seems to come in for the night. Beautiful girls and ladies everywhere and all dressed up like going to a party: the city looks like a party:)

Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.