SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seafarer 34 Purchase - Trampoline Deck Problem
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
Re: Seafarer 34 Purchase - Trampoline Deck Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Given the facts that we are currently experiencing one of the best buyers' markets ever and that there is a surplus of good used boats available, why would you take a risk and buy a boat in reliance on a promise that a repair would be made?

If I read your post correctly, you have not yet physically inspected the boat.

Google "Seafarer sailboats" and discover the facts. Don Casey and many others suggest you buy a known quality boat, that means a boat that was produced in great enough numbers to establish its value, its quality and its likely problem areas given its age.
You make excellent points. Of course I would not buy the boat until the repair was completed and the boat could be surveyed. Either that or low ball the broker on the purchase price and take on the repair myself, but only after I was certain someone could do an expert level repair. None of this would take place without inspecting the rest of the boat to ensure there were no other hidden problems and then have the boat surveyed.

I did Google the boat, which is where I found the Seafarer Research site. I also found Sailboatdata.com, which confirmed the boat's specs. However, I have yet to find a site that talks about any likely problem areas of the boat. Nor have I found out how many of this model were produced. Do you know of any sites that might help in those two areas?

As for the sailing characteristics, the boat is touted as a blue water cruiser ready to go anywhere.