SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing close hauled?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sailing close hauled?

I assume this is the C&C 30 Mk I or II and not the C&C Mega 30. The C&C 30 Mk's are a nice older design which actually pointed quite closely for its day (or most any day for that matter). I assume from your description, that you are saying that by watching your compass course, you are tacking through 120 degrees course to course, rather than 90 degrees. I would agree that it is way more than I would expect on a boat like the C&C 30which I would expect to tack through roughly 90 degrees.

Other than the suggestions above, you do not say where you sail, or the windspeed you were dealing with, but in lighter air, tidal current can impact the apparent wind directions on each tack so that you end up tacking through a much wider angle.

But also as people have suggested, the prime suspects would be the condition of the sail, and the sheet lead position. I do not believe that you can lead the genoa sheets inside the shrouds on a C&C 30 since the leech of a genoa would hit the spreaders.

Its been a while since I sailed on one of these so I may be mistaken, but my best recollection of the way C&C 30's were sailed is that the genoa is sheeted inside the lifelines and outside the shrouds, to a sheet lead track which is just outboard of the coaming and inside the rail. When the lead is right the leech of the genoa almost touches the upper shroud and the foot of the sail touches the lower part of the upper shroud almost at the deck.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook