SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mason 43 for under $40,000!
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012

beebopbogo is on a distinguished road
Mason 43 for under $40,000!

I've been shopping around for a good blue-water sailboat for about a year now and this Mason 43 just popped onto my radar for around $30-40k. My buddy was talking with his neighbor at the docks who said the owner is done with the boat and just wants to get rid of it. It has sat at the slip for 4 years straight without a single person setting foot on it. He's sick and doesn't want to show the boat, he doesn't want to deal with it, and just wants it gone. It sounds like it could be an amazing deal, but I'm currently deployed and have to trust my friend (owner and sailor of his Catalina 40) to be my eyes and ears for me.

4 years ago, the boat showed up in the slip next to my friend's in perfect condition. Shiny teak, new rigging, freshly painted hull, and new engine. Then it was never touched since. In fact, the new engine hasn't even been hooked up yet. My friend just did a walk-through and he says it is now covered in dirt, one of the interior ports was open, some water got in, and the engine is half sitting in water. I'm not sure if the water is fresh or salt, but he's going to look at it again tomorrow. This boat will probably sell very quickly, being such an amazing deal.

So, any recommendations? It almost seems a no-brainer. Even if I find some horrible problems, I could still put another $60,000 into it and be sailing my $150,000 dream boat around the world. I guess my question is, what could possibly be the worst case scenario if I buy this boat? What could make me regret buying it?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook