SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Discussion of the Philosophies of Cruising and Circumnavigating
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: A Discussion of the Philosophies of Cruising and Circumnavigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Hey guys, I'm 44 and have been a constant on the water front since 1986 ie a long time. I see a very interesting trend in boat size and equipment. Its been my experience that almost all of the big fancy boats with all the fancy new must have "safety equipment" Are all financed, ie the bank owns them. The smaller less equipped boats tend to be owned and maintained by the sailor. If you have time payments on your boat its because you cant afford it. For allot of us sailing represent freedom and freedom comes with a price. I have owned 11 boats since I was 18 and payed cash for every one. So my question is how many of you own your boats? Some people might not understand this but if you are making payments you don't own your boat, the bank does. The whole point of this question is that allot of people here seem to think you have to be a consumer to be a voyager when infact its the opposite.
I have never paid a penny of direct bank interest in my life, and have always owned outright any boat I have ever had.