SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nissan 9.8 priming problem
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Nissan 9.8 priming problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltsn View Post
Hello Sumner (walt here)..

That water separator isn’t a bad idea but I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of someone with an outboard / small tank having a problem caused by water in the gas.

The problems are always because of clogged jets or such and it because of how the gas evaporates. I understand that it’s the additives in the gas that address this.

I’d get a water separator if I thought it would address any problem I’ve ever had or heard of but it seems to me that it has nothing to do with either the OP's problem of the problem I had in the previous post.

Am I missing something?
I agree that I don't think he had water in the gas. I think he flooded the carb probably because the needle was having a problem or he just overpowered it pumping. That led to gas dripping out onto the water and the hard starting.

Some of the problem could of been trash and if you are going to filter for that why not also think about the possibility of water in the gas which has increase with the use of ethanol in some gas.

We have a ....

Macgregor 26S Outside Mods page 35

....19 gallon tank and I wanted to make sure that we also tried to cover the water in the gas possibility since we were going to Florida and didn't know what the gas situation was going to be down there.

We did find non-ethanol gas when we did fill up and drained the tank upon arriving home,

Sum

----------------------------------------

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Last edited by Sumner10; 10-07-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook