SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Couple Simple Questions Regarding Dinghies
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: A Couple Simple Questions Regarding Dinghies

.... manufacturers specifications will give carrying capacity. Obviously variable depending on type of dinghy and construction.

.... smaller dinghys flip over manually and yes the halyard to hoist and drop. From what I've seen people with ribs seem to store them on deck hull down so flipping is not an issue. Pretty easy to manually flip an average sized plastic or inflatable.

.... how long is a piece of string ? How much can a Koala Bear ? From my experience I've never had a problem with a halyard lifting a dinghy on keel boats from 24' and up.

.... practice. you create a sling that is attached is such a way as to keep the thing vaguely level as you raise and/or lower though yes you do need to take care in high wind conditions. Usually however simply hanging onto the painter gives sufficient control.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-02-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook