SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1995 Sabre 362 or Catalina 36MkII 2004
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: 1995 Sabre 362 or Catalina 36MkII 2004

I really like the Sabre 362's. I've been eyeing them up for awhile. I like their layout, better than mine. Full shower and head aft. It's built a little beefier. I also like that they have one deck penetration for the shrouds on each side, rather than the 3 that I have on mine. And it's a Sabre!

That said, I think you've got to weigh all the issues and apply them to your particular intentions for the boat and the condition of each vessel. You say that they are both in good shape....but the sails on the Sabre may be 17 years old, unless they've been replaced? So, if you have to replace them, vs not having to replace the sails on the catalina..you're looking at several thousands in additional expense..
Engine hours? etc.

I think either vessel would make a fine coastal cruiser...if I was to head further afield, I'd prefer the sabre under me. They hold their value too.

I haven't been on a Catalina 36 in years..I'm guessing it's beamier, roomier..etc.

I'm partial to the Sabre.... but, if I had to make this decision, I'd probably make a list of all the pro's and cons. What's the draft on these two? I'd want a shoal draft for the East coast..

Last edited by Tempest; 10-02-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook