SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartplotter died, time to upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Chartplotter died, time to upgrade?

I have all Raytheon stuff about 12 years old. The cockpit repeater unit quit working last trip. Worked fine one the day but will not power up now. RC530. Wiring checks out ok and I plugged in a spare B&W base unit and it powers up just fine. The base unit is a RL70RC and works fine. The Radar is connected to the base unit.

I don't know who repairs these or if it is cost effective. So, it gets me thinking about upgrading. I am guessing none of my equipment will interface with the new stuff.

I am not in crisis mode as I can use the B&W unit in the cockpit, still have the base unit below while I can try to find an inexpensive replacement RC530.

But what about modernizing. Or piecemeal modernizing. How about a modern stand alone chart plotter for the helm, use the old stuff when I need radar. I hate spending money on this old stuff when it could be applied to newer equipment.

BTW: This older Raytheon stuff is a PITA to use. Nothing intuitive about it.

Comments and opinions welcome, I need education on the new electronics and good models. Someone mentioned the Garmin 740s in a thread recently.

Thanks all

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook