SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions RE: Installing Interior 12v LED Light Strips
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Questions RE: Installing Interior 12v LED Light Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
I use the LED strips available at auto parts stores for cars. They work fine. I wire them directly into the lighting circuits. One issue I have not addressed is their low current draw. The old circuit breakers are much too big - I may go back and add very low tubular low amp fuses to the circuits in front of the lights.
The circuit breaker is to protect the wire not the lights. As long as the wire to the new LED lights is the same size it was then you can keep that breaker. If you stepped down to a smaller gauge wire and the breaker exceeds that wires ampacity then an additional fuse would be necessary to protect the smaller wire..

To do LED's correctly the need current regulation. Good LED's will have this built in, and you'll pay more. In strip or roll form many don't have any current regulation and require and additional circuitry so as not to overdrive them, heat them up and burn them out early.

Good LED's, that will last, use constant current circuitry

Cheaper LED's, that won't last as long, use a buck converter

The cheapest LED's, that can actually catch on fire, use a resistor to try and control current. Don't buy "resistive" controlled LED's..

Be careful what you buy when it comes to LED.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook