SailNet Community - View Single Post - PSC 31 Great sail after lots of work
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC 31 Great sail after lots of work

I can't read all this praise for the PSC 31 without chiming in with a little story of my own about a close call I just had with mine. Fortunately I came through it alright, a little shaken, but with a new perspective on my great ol' boat.

My close call was that we were within inches of selling our 1988 PSC 31 and at the very last minute called the deal off! We listed Wayfarer for sale in June. My wife and I just went for what we thought might be our last cruise in Wayfarer in September prior to meeting a prospective buyer to go for a sea trial. It was a relaxed 10-day DelMarVa circumnavigation with great sailing, great weather, sun, storms, dozens of dolphins, a little bit of everything . At the 2 marinas we stopped at, as usual, we received many spontaneous compliments on our boat. We had to agree, and were starting to have trouble remembering why it was we were selling her. Did we really need a bigger boat? As soon as we got back to Solomons we went to work getting Wayfarer all spick and span, de-cluttered, polished , varnished, and boy did she look nice! The following day was a perfect day for the showing and Wayfarer performed flawlessly. The buyer said she "loved" the boat. Problem was, so did we. Even more so now that we had just given her so much TLC getting ready for the showing. As we talked prices and financing I started to get a heavy feeling in my stomach. My wife was staying very quiet. That night I couldn't sleep at all. The next day my wife and I were in total agreement that we must have been crazy to want to sell such a beautiful boat! Where would we find another with such lovely lines, the patina'd bronze portlights, winches and cleats, the spacious cockpit (sorry 37 owners, I prefer my cockpit ), the solid PSC workmanship and design, not to mention all the upgrades and improvements I had put into her? Plus we had been through so much together: We learned to cruise on her, had great sails, awful sails, mishaps of every variety but always came through together in the end, and some grand adventures. It would be too callous and disloyal to just cast her off like that--to a stranger! We called up the buyer right away and told her, sorry, we changed our mind--Wayfarer is not for sale.

So next spring I am celebrating the renewal of our vows with a re-rig and a new mainsail (it no longer seems expensive at all, when compared to the cost of buying a bigger boat), then it's off to... hmm... Bermuda or New England? Can't decide...
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook