SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartplotter died, time to upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Chartplotter died, time to upgrade?

My Chartplotter also needs to be replaced this winter. I am leaning towards the Standard Horizon 390i which has a 7" color screen as the replacement but would like to see a working display first. Part of the difficulty of this on line world is finding stores that actually display a working unit so you can go in and push buttons and stuff. I looked at Garmin 541 series and rejected that because there is not enough depth detail when zooming out on the small screen. I haven't located a Garmin 7" screen plotter to play with yet. I am going to the boat show this weekend and hope there will be lots of models to check out. I liked the Raymarine e7 unit which seems very capable but again, no working models set up in local stores. As far as costs go, it seems that the Standard Horizon is most cost effective.

My biggest concern is ability to see enough depth data when zooming out. All show it when zooming in close but lose significant detail when zooming out. That is something I need to see for myself.

I do route planning at home on my computer and then transfer it to the plotter. I know that current models have SD card slots for charts. Do you use that to download routes from computer to plotter and visa versa? Currently I have to bring my plotter (Garmin 162) home to connect to the computer. It would be nice to speak with a clerk that knows the different units! Do you need to purchase a separate program for the computer to be able to do route planning etc to download to Chartplotter?

I hope I won't be disappointed at the show this weekend in Annapolis and that I will see a bunch of units up and running...

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gladrags1; 10-05-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook