Thread: Anchor light
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
practicality speaking here---in these anchorages we find the need for lower than masthead lighting comes from not the sailing boats anchoring and entering a harbor, but for those pangas that sped thru anchorages--these souls do NOT look UP for lighting. hence, cockpit lights--do not use blue, s blue connotes whorehouses in mexico-- but of white whatever stays on all night. go ahead and use the masthead light if you wish, but do supplement with GOOD bunch of closer to the deck lighting so these pangas donot hit your boat.
It happened in Belize about a 1/2 mile out in front of the city back in '90, A whloe family zooming in a panga ran in to my aqquaintance's large power boat anchored out. a few of them died and the guy driving said the anchor light blended in with the stars. I've seen the effect a million times looking out over Key West Harbour at night, and if not the stars, they blend in with city light's. Best to have a low light that illuminates the deck or bimini a bit. Like Zeehag say's, it's not so much cruisers and your self but panga's and yahoo's zooming around. The dudes driving around panga's down in Honduras are amongst the worst boat handlers I've ever seen any where.