SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1st trip as skipper
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006
learning to sail

RayMetz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RayMetz100
goldingds, were you aiming for the middle? I've never been under a bridge, but there are lots of them if I head into Lake Union and Lake Washington.

hellosailor, it took us just over 4 hours beating into the wind to get there, and just under 2 hours to get back running wing and wing. We were going 4.5-5.5 knots down wind home. I have no idea how fast we were going on the way there.

My new GPS broke as soon as we got on the water because my chinese AA rechargable batteries are slightly too long and the Garmin battery compartment is slightly too small or has very tight specs. The positive nub of the battery pressed so hard against the positive spring clip, that it broke. The Garmin also didn't like 1.2 volts from NiMH. We bought some Duracells on the island and got it working for the way back.

The Cal 2-25 had electronics on it, but the only things we could get to light up were the radio and the electronic wind gauge. So we didn't have depth or speed through the water indicators.

yotphix, thanks for the tip. I'll remember that when it warms up and my wife comes along.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook