SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau Oceanis vs First
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Beneteau Oceanis vs First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think there's been a shift in the 'First' focus in the last few years over what was produced in the 80s.. The older boats were racier designs with better deck gear but otherwise fit and finish was standard Beneteau - hulls were not as shallow and light as the current crop so the cruising aspects didn't suffer.

Now I think there's a considerable difference in the Oceanus vs 'Firsts' in hull shapes and weights, leading to a 'racier' First, or more contrast between the two, if you will...

Hi! There is certainly a difference in hull shape but not a very significant one in weight: For the Oceanis 41 they give 8450kg, for the First 40 cr 7900kg. Considering that the Oceanis is not only longer but a lot beamier that is not a big difference.

I would say that the bigger difference has to do with B/D ratio (much bigger on the First) and with the bow entries and the forward part of the boat that is much slicker on the First. Of course the Oceanis is also a lot beamier has almost all beam brought back but that has not to do with being a cruiser or a performance cruiser but with design criteria and what performance they want to privilege. For example the Pogo or the Opium have that kind of beam and transom (as well as fine entries) and are performance cruisers while other pure medium weight cruisers have the First ballance design criteria, I mean a more traditional ballance without a big beam all brought to the transom.

In the past there was not this divergence between the line of First and Oceanis and the balance in what regards performances and design criteria was much more even between the two lines, being off course the First more slicker and powerful (more D/B ratio).

Now I would say that regarding design criteria the Oceanis privilege much more downwind sailing (and sailing with a smal angle of heel) while the First privilege more upwind sailing and sailing in rough seas. That makes a lot of sense because most cruisers motor when they have to go dead upwind and stay in Port when the weather is rough.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook