SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't need no lessons..just go..
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen View Post
If you don't come from a sailing background, how do you get started without taking a class? I couldn't imagine figuring out which boat to buy with no prior knownledge of what is good??
I didn't come from a sailing background. I bought into a Catalina 27 after going out on two half-day charters to get some pointers.

How did I know the Catalina 27 was the right boat for what I wanted to do? I didn't. It was just available, ready to sail, for a very good price. That was good enough for me.

The thing I made sure of is that it had a good motor so I could always get out of trouble (or bang into the dock with more speed). I also made sure to go out in very mellow conditions while I learned. And I read and watched how-to videos (and still do) A LOT!

Dude, it's really not that hard. Just be conservative and safety conscious - and be very observant in order to educate yourself. You probably won't die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook