SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1995 Sabre 362 or Catalina 36MkII 2004
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: 1995 Sabre 362 or Catalina 36MkII 2004

There will be more maintenance and upgrades to be done on a 1995 than a 2004 no matter the builder.

You may incur costs in upgrading/replacing sails, lifelines, electronics, plumbing, pumps, etc. Much of which you won't really know about until you own the boat no matter how good the survey. 17 year old parts fail. I know; I own a 1995.

What do sails cost? How much to completely upgrade the electronics? Can you do these jobs yourself or will you be paying yard rates?

Catalinas are well built boats so it's unlikely you'll have the same level of initial maintenance on a 2004. That's definitely something to factor into your decision.

Sabre's are built to a high level of fit and finish, where the Catalina is a production boat. That level of finish may or may not be important to you.

Spend some time on both boats and if possible sail both. Then what is your gut telling you?

There is a certain pride of ownership that comes with owning a boat with the fit and finish of the Sabre. But is it worth the additional cost? Only you can answer that question -- and the Catalina 36 is still a damn fine boat.

Either way best of luck with your new boat,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook