SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
btw--we dont need no stinkin numbers--when passion hits, BUY.
Well said!! Love your attitude!

Much as I like science and understanding - art, music and passion are really what matters to me! I've never tried a boat before I bought it, probably because I buy cheap wrecks for a song that need work before launching. Always it's the older traditional styles that grab me when I see them sitting beside the road. But this year I bought a Hunter 23 (a wreck). Partly because of this thread, and partly because it was there. A super ugly stubby wing keeled boat, which I hate to look at and always think "toy boat". I must admit, it sails surprisingly well. And, when I'm on it, I can't see how ugly it looks, I just sail around the beautiful traditional boats and look at them. With a theoretical hull speed of something like 5.9 knots, I was surprised when my new (tiny, pocket sized hiking style) first GPS showed I was doing 6.2 MPH (not knots) going against the tide while tacking into the wind. Recently I found that it recorded tracks of where I went, and showed my top speed to be 8.3 MPH. I can only think I must have been surfing down some monster waves going with the wind and tide. (Week long sail/anchor.) Of course, when I'm ripping along, I don't bother changing screens on the GPS to see my speed, too busy sailing! So I've enjoyed my first "modern" boat more than I expected. Except looking at it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook