SailNet Community - View Single Post - 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
The policies of the insurance company are based solely on income vs losses.
Many coastal cruisers sit at the dock for 345 days out of the year and go out only on perfect gentle 10 knot days the rest of the time or are motoring.
If a stay fails on a boat at the dock the mast will often say up since their is little stress on it.
It makes more sense for the insurance company to ignore the potential problem since it is only a problem if the boat is used.
It may be more of an issue for some sailnet members than for the insurance company due to usage.
I would guess the insurance company could deny coverage if say your mast came down due to a corroded mast tang. Insurance companies do not cover loss due to normal wear and tear or general degredation. I would guess they would cover any liability- say your mast falls on someone or hits your dock neighbors boat on the way down. I have heard insurance may not cover your boat if it sinks due to a corroded seacock that has not been maintained, so I would presume the same for your mast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook