SailNet Community - View Single Post - Champagne taste on a beer budget
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Champagne taste on a beer budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
I have found my marina, a slip, and I have a budget for the slip. ..

The problem with the above is that it is going to eat up a lot of money that could go towards another boat later unless that slip is a lot less than what I've seen other places and I think that it goes with the comment you made earlier.

Quote:
But won't the expenses of keeping up one boat prevent me from being able to upgrade?
Only if you put one in the water all of the time in a slip. You will need to keep bottom paint on it and the maintenance will be more than even if you had a trailer boat in a mast-up yard. (edit: just read your other post and with a mini that might even be hard)

Quote:
.. (I get that the pocket cruisers above may not be ideal for the Chesapeake, but I love them anyway.)
Not sure what you are calling a pocket cruiser. I kind of reserve that for a boat maybe under 19 feet and I'll bet that there are tons of those sailing the Chesapeake. In our case we've taken out 26 foot easily trailered boat to larger lakes in Idaho, Utah and Canada and twice to Florida. Once 400+ miles down the west coast and across Florida Bay to the Keys and then up the Keys. I see people all the time posting that have trailered boats in the 20-26 foot range that sail the Chesapeake and take extended trips on them.

Just some thoughts. I'd keep your options open,

Sum

------------------------------------------------------

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Last edited by Sumner10; 10-03-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook