SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't need no lessons..just go..
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

We bought the boat, then a trailer to stick under her, then a truck to pull her. (I needed a truck anyway). I took a class, Sailing and Seamanship, in January from the USCGA and studied Sailing for Dummies. Come spring, I motored past the jetty, into the Atlantic and hoisted my main and my jib. I had never sailed before. Sure we've made mistakes, hit a buoy, stuck in the mud at low, lost in the fog, food poisoning, alien abduction, all the regular stuff. But it's the experience of sailing that has taught me to sail. A couple of weeks ago, I took my 79 year old mom out overnight. The next day, winds hit about 16 knots, gusting to 20. We did 6 knots with hardly a heel angle to speak of. Why? Experience, I'm getting better. No classes but lots of hands on. If I had the money, I'd love to take a class, but at about $600/class, that's 28% of my boat. Don't look down on those who can't afford the pricey slip at the marina, the guys who speak with un-clenched teeth, the ones who weren't born to Dacron diapers. How much more dedicated to sailing is one who has little but gives all? One whose electronics stop at portable radio and battery toothbrush? But, sail for the shear joy of the wind in his sail and the spray in his hair. No boat to impress the ladies with or wet bar to entertain, but a cooler to hold the beer and ham sandwich and a tiller with duct tape to steer by. That, my friends, is sailing. A quite bay at dusk with a cool glass of wine and warm armful of wife, crickets, gulls, fish jumping and the rhythmic tap, tap, tap of water on the transom. No classes, just class.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook