SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.

Hi Richard,

First I have never single handed anything bigger than 22'. But that was without motor. Its not the sailing so much as the getting in and out of the slip by yourself. One concern I have about single handing is staying on the boat. I love Seaojoes boat but don't think I want to be out solo without any lifelines.

I think the size and style of the boat are less important than the layout. You want all lines led aft, preferably with clutches, jiffy reefing, roller furling and self tailing winches for jib sheets.

If you want to race and spend the weekends on a boat I would suggest something in a 30 foot range. A Catalina 30 if you want space an Olson 30 if you want to go fast and don't mind crouching, Ericson 29, 30, 32, J92, not sure of the price but a fun sailor with room for 3 to camp out on. One other thing to consider for finding crew is a Meetup group. I am in one in SD and sail 2+ days a week on strangers boats, although I am getting to know the owners. You can have people bring you lunch and beer if you take them sailing.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook