SailNet Community - View Single Post - HO Alternator & Serpentine Pulley Kit Install
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: HO Alternator & Serpentine Pulley Kit Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Nigel also had something very interesting to say about new technologies coming soon.

He believes that PMDC motors/alternators being perfected in the automotive industry will soon yield products for boaters which will provide extremely high capacity alternators at reasonable prices......
This will be terrific and I'm sure there are many electronic advancements on the horizon. The racing industry is heavily involved in this research. If you can imagine a battery powered Indy or Nascar, sailors needs are easy.

I'm guessing that high output alternators require more than just a way to make them less expensive. They also need to be substantially more efficient in order for our relatively low horsepower engines to turn them.

I'm a bit suspicious of the economic for boaters, however. There are probably more hybrid cars on the road today than there are boating customers that would buy these upgrades and hybrid technology remains very expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook