SailNet Community - View Single Post - Coast Guard Documentation?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Coast Guard Documentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmejicano View Post
I am buying a boat in Georgia and bringing it back to Florida where I live and where I will register the boat as a commercial vessel. My documenting agent is telling me that she will "delete" the boat from the Coat Guard and it will cost me an additional $125.00. Can someone enlighten me?
I don't understand the need to drop your boat from documentation. I don't have experience with changing the vessels purpose in documentation, but it seems like it would be pretty straightforward to go from "recreational" to "commercial". Also, if you are carrying a note on the boat, the bank will typically require documentation (since it acts as a title). Documentation will also make it a bit easier to sell the boat later, for the same reason. Finally, if you plan on taking the boat to a foreign country, documentation is typically required.

I would ask your agent why she wants to drop your boat from documentation and see if there is an option to simply change the vessels purpose. If she says no, then I would contact NVDC myself, or better yet, just contact NVDC and do the paperwork and save yourself some money.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook