SailNet Community - View Single Post - another sailor complaining about power boaters
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: another sailor complaining about power boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
Thank god the Power boaters are finally out of the water here in Buffalo N.Y. This was my first season with a sailboat. I can Honestly say that as a power boater I always respected my distance from any sailboat (or any other boat)underway but I dont seem to get the same respect from other power boaters now that I'm on a sailboat. It also seems that the bigger the boat the less likely that the helmsman knows and obeys the rules of the water. All things consitered I'm glad I sold my gas guzzler. In less than 2 weeks I will be dreaming of sailing for about 6 months while I wait for my marina to open once again. Dose anyone think my wife will miss me between now and the 15th when I have to pull my girlfriend out of the water for the season.

Perhaps it is like smokers, reformed ones complain the loudest? I do think it is funny that power boaters all pull there boats so early. Sailboats are the first in and last out. Guess they already burned up there budgets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Its simple.... to make a powerboat move, you have to write a check. To make a sailboat move, you have to know what you're doing. On average, you attract people with different motivations.
Yea, that is why there are so many more accidents with power boaters. Sometimes you don't even have to write the check. I was just thinking about an accident we had on the Hudson last year with a drunk idiot who had a borrowed power boat and rammed into concrete footing along the shore way out of the navigational channel in the middle of the night killing himself and a three friends. It just could not have happened in a sailboat. He would not have known how to get the boat moving even!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook