SailNet Community - View Single Post - Inconvenient Bahama sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Inconvenient Bahama sailing

My 1981 28' S2 has been in the Bahamas for 3 years now and is also now registered there. When I took her there (Marsh Harbor, Abacos), my business was doing well and I thought I'd be able to get there a lot to sail. That has not happed and I only get there maybe 3x a year so she sits unhappily on the hard in the boat yard costing me a lot.
I've offered to allow my sailing friends to use her but all of my sailing friends have considerably higher standards of comfort than I do and want bizarre things like shore power (Why?) and real marine heads (I like the porta-potti) or gas stoves, (sterno cans in the burner wells of the old pressurized alcohol stove work well) or they don't like the fact that sitting on my boat leaves any dark clothing with white chalk. I think a rowing dinghy is great while they want an outboard, etc, etc.
The only people who think my boat is great are my caving friends whose standard of comfort is that the mud they are sleeping in not be too cold. While they are happy to sail her, very few of em know much about sailing as they tend to stay out of sunlight.
So, having her in Marsh harbor was "OK" until recently when my wife found out what it is costing me. In reality, it isnt much compared to most places. Monthly average is about $350/month for recurring expenses (storage is $10/ft/m, about 10/m for putting in Damp Rid, a charge for pumping the bilge every so often etc.). However, this is a fortune compared to most N. W. FL redneck docks whose average customer is an oyster boat.
So, what should I do? I could bring her home but I am likely to never take her there again and I'd lose my $1000 it cost me to register her there permanently. Chartering her out is out of the question as bringing her up to comfort standards of the rest of the world would take too much money. I could probably sell her there as she is registered there and is truly the perfect Bahamas boat but I love my boat.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook