SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mason 43 for under $40,000!
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Mason 43 for under $40,000!

Been there, done that -
My boat (1975 Dufour 34) sat on the hard for 7 years waiting for a buyer. When I first saw her, there was water to the level of the floorboards and it had clearly, at some point, been higher. Fortunately, the floorboards and upholstery had been removed, so they were fine. The sails were in good shape with a new main, all stored off the boat.
The engine was toast though, since it had been at least a quarter immersed in water. Since it was a donation boat, I paid very (VERY!) little for it, and even now, do not have $25k into it - that's with a very lightly used new engine, hull repaint, bimini/dodger, new electronics, new stove (original was removed)...so on and on....all the work done by myself, quality secondhand equipment purchased when/where feasible.
Since then, this boat has done three trips to the Great Lakes, three to the Bahamas, two to Cuba, and 20 up and down the US east coast, for over 30k miles. It's been a good deal in other words.
The key here when buying a boat that has suffered neglect is that the boat is a quality boat. That means its components will hold up better and not so much need replacement as refurbishing. If you do the work yourself (I did), it can save you a fortune (which I didn't/don't have) and you'll know your boat intimately, for those times in harbours where you're a long way from the nearest marine tradesman.
The owner of this Mason is asking $40k, which seems like a good price, but it's asking so you could do better. If you're going to do the work yourself, it's worth it. If not - I'd take a look at Simplicity, posted above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook