Originally Posted by wingNwing
Looks like a pretty nicely-done project. We also have a stackpack-style mainsail cover, made by a friend a few years ago, that now needs restitching. So I'm hoping to get some insights from you, if that's okay. Did you put a batten along the upper edge of yours to keep it taut and straight? It looks like there's some kind of a pocket along the edge in your photos, but hard to tell for sure. Also, one of your photos shows sewing in some mesh material, but I can't figure out where that is ... is it for drainage, or stiffening? Thanx!
In our first Stackpack we used 1.5" PVC pipe for "battens" along the top. They weren't nearly stiff enough to support the pack, so for 2.0 we got stackpack battens (happened to find some at Bacons - YIPPEEE). I also added battens at the mast and boom end to help the empty pack maintain its shape when dropping the sails down.
The mesh is Phifertex (sailrite). We had some issues with water accumulating inside the 1.0 stackpack, so decided to add the mesh for ventilation and draining. Along the way, I decided that if we were going to have mesh, it might as well be decorative - hence the waves. The addition of the ventilation (and an off center zipper with flap on top) dramatically reduced the amount of water that collected in the stackpack after a rain - literally by gallons, so it was a worthwhile tweek to the design.