SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mason 43 for under $40,000!
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Mason 43 for under $40,000!

If you're going to seriously cruise a boat, you're going to have to fix it at some point - and that means having those skills, since there are many locations where those skills simply are not available. Sure you can make money, but money doesn't count when there's no one to spend it with. In Cuba, for example, I couldn't pay a local to fix my outboard, at least not with cash. I ended up giving him 10 pounds of dog kibble for his wife's dog (dog food is not available in Cuba) and a bunch of old parts laying around the boat that had value to him.
A good argument can be made that the serious cruiser should purchase an older boat and fix it him/herself and learn how it's done, in a place where supplies (and help!) are available. And if you're going to do that, then purchasing a well built boat rather than a plastic clorox bottle is the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook